Sunday, November 30, 2008

What I'm Reading

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse - This book was incredible, and it instantly brought me back to another very good I read, A Separate Reality. The major running theme is that you cannot discover yourself through other peoples teachings, but rather through examining yourself and experiencing your own life.

The Autobiography of Malcolm X - Every single person in America should read this, Malcolm is completely misrepresented in the history books. I remember reading in my High School history book about how bad a person Malcolm X was,
and how he didn't really accomplish anything other than breeding racial discrimination in America. I honestly don't know how he wrote this, he writes about the different phases of his life (Early life, hustling on the East Coast, in prison, the Nation of Islam, then finally him joining Orthodox Islam) like he was still in them, with seemingly no influence from his new views.

Old School by Tobias Wolff - Wolff is a great writer, and this book about a kid in school who struggles to find a true voice in his writing was a very quick read. I just bought another book of his, This Boy's Life.

33 Strategies of War by Robert Greene - As with all of his books, this is one of my most marked up books, and is impossible to digest without a multitude of readings. The sheer amount of examples from History makes this a must-read for any person with even an inkling of interest in the past, and how it can be applied to the present and future.

Lives Of A Cell
by Thomas Lewis - My dad read this 30 years ago, and still recommended it to me. It essentially shows how the whole world is a giant organism, and everything is interrelated. There were some amazing comparisons between the actions of ants and termites to how humans act.

The Odyssey - I re-read this for a class, and it was even better than the first time I went through it. I am going to be pissed if the Hollywood remake happens...

No comments: